Thursday, April 23, 2015

#30DaysofScootering - Day 23 - Against the Soggy, Sluggish Day


It was decent weather this morning when Christine and I got out for our usual Thursday walk to breakfast, but then the day "biteyed up" (to use Christine's expression) into a rainy afternoon. I'm reading a terrific book (We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler and while it was tempting to stay inside, I'm committed to scootering somewhere every day this month, so I rolled out the door.


Christine had spotted these mushrooms this morning growing in the hollow of a tree alongside the trail.


The lilacs (and darn near everything else) are in bloom.


I meet up with Joe Tutch on the trail. Joe rides to work every day, rain or shine. He's headed home now.


A crow watches as I roll past.



This is great weather for slugs.




Snails also enjoy the damp day.


 It's raining more heavily now and I stop at the Value Village.


Value Village has a buy four books get the fifth one free deal every day and today happens to be World Book Day. So in addition to getting a nice pair of shoes, I loaded up on some books. I spent less than twenty bucks. A couple of these I've already read, but it's nice to have copies to give to friends.


Issaquah has a local ordinance against plastic bags, so I always travel with a folding nylon bag in my pocket.


 I take the slightly longer way home.

It is the way that involves a bit more climbing, a bit more work.


The rewards are a swooping descent to the clouded valley. My books stayed dry enough in my bag, I stayed dry enough on my journey. Slugs are not sluggish on damp days and once again I'm glad I got out on two wheels.

4.83 miles of scootering today, bringing the month's total to 134 miles.

No comments: