Wednesday, April 16, 2014

#30DaysofScootering: Soggy Scootering


There are many wise people who never ride their scooters in the rain. I'm not one of those people. I grew up listening to Billy Joel songs ("you may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...") but I'm not totally reckless. One big reason I chose my KickPed over various other scooters is that it has two-inch wide, grippy tires. And, over the past year, I've scootered many, many miles in the rain. I've learned a lot about how much traction I do or don't have and how much extra I should slow down for given conditions and how much harder I need to stomp on the rear fender brake. I advise folks to use their own judgement when it comes to when and where they go scootering. In general I don't let the weather keep me from riding.

Christine pedals off to work at the Safeway super early in the morning (she's a shopper for Safeway.com). Today she finished up around 8:00 AM and she gave me a call. I scootered off to meet her for breakfast.


It was a wet morning. This little snail was on our walkway.


I moved the snail off the walk and into the bushes where it would be less likely to get stepped on.


We've had a couple of dry weeks in Issaquah, but today the rains have returned.


If you want a real challenge, try taking pictures while scootering in the rain.


I was trying to capture the image of water streaming off the front wheel. I kind of succeeded.


Here's my sweetie with her grocery pannier and her rain jacket.


I lock my scooter up next to Christine's Allant and then we walk over to Panera for breakfast.


After breakfast we pick up some food for Inkling and ourselves and then we roll for home. Christine commutes by bike every day, while I use my scooter for my shorter commute.





It keeps raining throughout the day and I don't have any strong reasons to go anywhere, so it's another short day in terms of scooter miles.

3.67 miles today, bringing the April total to 139.53 miles.

2 comments:

Sachi Wilson said...

Anyone who takes the care to move a snail tyo a safe spot gets my praise!

Sachi

Littleviews said...

Love the scooter lock up!