Monday, April 07, 2014

#30DaysofScootering: Morning Scoot to Lake Sammamish State Park.


It's a beautiful spring day in Issaquah and I don't have to be at work until 10:00 AM so after breakfast I scooter off in the direction of Lake Sammamish State Park


This is the paved trail that runs north from Gilman Boulevard. It's nice and smooth all the way up to the city border with the town of Sammamish.

I turn onto the Pickering Trail. We do have our share wild critters in town. They were here first and stick around because we keep enough green places available for them to live.


Another one of the many bridges over the Issaquah Creek.



I turn right to follow the creek.


This viewing platform was built to look over the creek and then a couple of years later the creek bed moved. It's still a good spot to watch birds.


Issaquah has a lot of these signs at various spots along the trails.


This tree appears to be completely devoid of Keebler Elves. I think TV sometimes lies to us.


A squirrel chattered at me from the branches of this tree.


This is the Pickering Barn. In a couple of weeks, the Saturday Farmer's Market will return here.


The Issaquah Creek is lower now than it was a few weeks ago.


I scootered under this bridge. I encountered no trolls. I think children's books are not always 100 percent factual.


See the blue sky and bold shadows? March was not like this at all. Often, April in Issaquah is not like this, but I'm not complaining.


Another sign about the place.


A couple of deer are watching me.


They don't want me to get too close.


Note the three lanes: Car, Bike & Pedestrian. As a scooterist, I pick the least crowded, most comfortable lane.


There are a lot of unpaved trails in the park, but some nice paved ones as well.


Another little creek bridge.


The park is on the south end of the lake. The city of Belevue borders the west side of the lake, Issaquah is on the south end. The town of Sammamish occupies the eastern edge of the lake and Redmond is on the north end.


Lots of ducks and geese call the lake home for much of the year.



Looking out at the Sammamish Plateau.


The blue sky is still a bit of a novelty around here.


I cross back over I-90 via the Bike-Ped bridge.


They reworked some sections of the boardwalk trail and the new boards are much smoother for scootering.

In addition to my morning scooter trip, I scootered home for lunch and then this evening I rolled over to the bank. Today's total scooter miles were 9.67, bringing my April total to 74.8 miles.


1 comment:

Melanie said...

Hi Kent! It's been fun seeing where your scooter takes you on your 30 Days of Biking. Issaquah looks so pretty and green. I took the pledge too but haven't put on nearly as many additional miles as you. Way to go and Happy Riding!