Monday, April 23, 2012

#30DaysofBiking: Train Tracks & Trails


It's another beautiful spring morning here in Issaquah. I had a few minutes to get in a quick ride before breakfast. The train used to run through Issaquah but now the old 42 mile rail line around the north end of Lake Washington is mostly a series of bike trails. A small section of rail still exists in downtown Issaquah and a trolley car is being refurbished to run from the Depot Museum to Gilman Boulevard as a tourist attraction.




The old caboose on Gilman Boulevard marks the southernmost tip of the Lake Sammamish Trail. Like much of the past, it's been re-purposed and now does business as a barber shop.



This section of the trail will be paved this year.


As I rolled towards home, I got a picture of this little guy.

3 miles this morning.

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA

6 comments:

Scott W. Galer said...

Kent, I'm thinking of ordering an Allant. LBS doesn't stock--17.5 or 20? I'm 5' 9", 30.5" inseam. I've enjoyed your blog for years. -Scott

Kent Peterson said...

Hi Scott,

I'm a little shorter than you (5'6") with a 30" inseam and my Allant is a 17.5. Either one would probably work for you. If your local shop has FX series bikes, stand over one of them & see. The Allant tends to feel shorter because of the way the bars swing back towards you, so I'm thinking maybe the 20 is the way to go for you.

I hope this helps. Also, look at the pics of my bike, I've got a lot of seatpost showing.

Scott W. Galer said...

Thanks, Kent. All the best to you and Christine! -Scott

adventure! said...

I saw some rabbits on my ride Sunday coming back from camping at Paradise Point in the fair SW corner of your state:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanadventureleaguepdx/6959032342/
There always seem to be some by the brambles to the approach of the I-5 Bridge bike path.

A.D. Duling said...

How fun! How very in shape too! :0) Kent, I really enjoyed your post and what a very coroperative bicycle you have there...posing nicely in all those pictures for you :0)
I enjoyed your post, I just had to add you to my A.D.'s FAV 5 of the A to Z challenge today!
http://adduling.wordpress.com/
You are #2, so if you do not see the post right away, I am still working my way through, so do check back!

Have a wonderful Tuesday!
A.D.

Holly Michael said...

cool blog! Best wishes on your bike travels!