Sunday, April 01, 2012

#30DaysofBiking: Around the Lake on an Allant


Today is the beginning of April and the first day of the #30DaysofBiking and Blogging From A to Z Challenge. Some challenges are easier than others and some times you get lucky. It's raining as I type this but I just got back from a lovely ride.

Today's letter is "A" and my bike is an Allant. Christine tells me that "Allant" is basically French for "To Go" and indeed our Allants are good at going. But the musical definition of Allant that I found here really strikes a note (so to speak!) with me. It defines Allant as:

The French musical command allant is an indication to play in a casual, relaxed tempo; faster than à l’aise, but slower than modéré.

That would be a good definition of today's ride: play in a casual, relaxed tempo.

The wind was strong from the south when I left a bit after 7:00 this morning, with a good threat of rain in both the sky and the forecast. I rode north along the western shore of Lake Sammamish, dawdling now and then to take pictures of light and flowers and bits of green.

At the north end of the lake the thing that almost never happens happened. The wind died down and the skies cleared a bit. The light on the lake at Idlewood Beach was warm and wonderful. My route down the east side of Lake Sammamish was detoured by road construction so I got to climb up Northrup Way and 8th Street and verify that yes, the low gears on my Allant work just fine. Back in Issaquah I stopped at Trader Joe's for groceries and important things like chocolate.

And now I'm back home. If I tally the day's miles it's probably about 25. The rain just stopped again and I'm working this afternoon at a job I enjoy, selling bikes to people and keeping bikes rolling down the roads and trails. As days go, I'm perfectly happy to give this one an "A".

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA

5 comments:

Gene said...

That detour off the lake that heads uphill into Bellevue was quite a wake-up call to me a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to reopening of West Lake Sammamish. BTW, I'm inspired by your 30 days of biking. Maybe we can hook up one time.

Mimi said...

I was wondering if you were going to do this! This is not a day I would have ridden no matter what. But you seem to have made the best of it.


Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

Anonymous said...

Good read,my friend! I just (literally less than 5 minutes ago) got in from my first 30 in 30 ride around town :)

The Disabled Cyclist

Graciewilde said...

Cool! I am an avid biker in NorCal, stopping by from the A/Z Challenge. I took a two hour bike ride in the hills west of my small town yesterday. Spectacularly beautiful. I will come back here again!

tdoyle said...

Thanks, as a senior in need of more exercise, committing to ride every day in April has been a great motivator. Weather here in northern indiana can be challenging but I go every day, even for short ride. Thanks for the challenge