Wednesday, April 03, 2013

#30DaysofScooting: Wednesday is my Saturday


I work Fridays thru Tuesdays, so Wednesday is my virtual Saturday. Today in the morning I scooted over to the Depot Museum to take part in a city planning/engineering session addressing bike and pedestrian issues in the city. There was a very good turnout of folks and we clustered into working groups around half a dozen tables with maps, identifying bottlenecks, places where things have been done right and places that need improvement and laying the groundwork for the steps we need to take to make it easier for people to get around Issaquah without driving.


Later Christine and I walked around some of the quieter streets in our neighborhood and then this afternoon I rolled out for a nice five miles scoot.


For those of you wondering how I stop the scooter, the rear steel fender flexes down when I press on it with my heel. For sane scooting speeds, it's a pretty good brake. On really steep descents. I walk the scooter rather than melt my heel from the friction of braking!


And for those of you wondering how I keep the scooter fueled, well, that's one of the many advantages of getting around town without burning gas.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah, WA USA

2 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

i've heard scooters are great for short trips up to a couple of miles, but i've been wondering how they'd be for trips of 4-5 miles. was your 5-mile scoot just as doable as your shorter trips?

Kent Peterson said...

I'm building up my scooting muscles and improving my skill at switching between which foot is doing the kicking, but yep 5 miles is no problem for me now. I'll be trying some longer distances and keep folks posted here as to how things are going.