Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Plain Pedal Permission

Back in January I wrote about riding with platform pedals and ordinary shoes. In the months since then, I've converted all my bikes to platform pedals and I don't see myself going back. And I'm not the only one.

Mark Boyd, a very experienced bicycle tourist , writes about his experience here:

Grant Petersen, Rivendell's founder, has long believed in the virtues of platform pedals. Grant wrote a lovely essay on the subject here:

Mark, Grant and I are all saying pretty much the same thing: we don't need clipless pedals. And maybe you don't either.

What has been interesting to me hasn't just been my experience but the sense of relief I've encountered in other folks when they find someone who perhaps rides more than they do who says "you don't need that."

If you are racing criteriums, clip in. If you love your clipless pedals and Sidi shoes, that's great. But do you need clipless pedals to be a "serious" cyclist? I don't know, I've never been a "serious" cyclist.

But if what Mark or Grant or I write or do helps get some sort of "free foot" movement going, I don't think that's a bad thing.

Keep 'em rolling,


Post a Comment