Thursday, April 14, 2011

#30DaysofBiking: Seattle Area Rain


Some people think that it rains all the time in the Seattle area. I can tell you for certain that this is not true. Take today for example. It was not raining when I rode the bus from Issaquah to Seattle. It was not raining when I met up with @OrigamiGirl and she returned my Dahon, which she'd borrowed so she'd have a bike for the #30DaysofBiking when she attended a wedding in San Diego. It was not raining when I left the bike parked in the safe and dry Seattle Bike Port and went to lunch with my friend Dave. It was not raining when Dave and I walked back from lunch.

And then it began raining. It was raining when I left the Bike Port and rode through the International District. It was raining as I climbed the hill to the Bike Tunnel. I presume it was raining while I was in the bike tunnel, because it sure as heck was raining when I got out of the bike tunnel and rolled onto the I-90 bridge. It rained as I rode over Mercer Island, over the Bellevue Slough, up the Factoria Hill and the edge of Cougar Mountain. And it rained all the way into Issaquah.

I'm inside now, drier and warmer, with a mug of hot cocoa. And as I look out the window, I see it's stopped raining.

It doesn't rain all the time in the Seattle area.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA

6 comments:

Gunnar Berg said...

Just checked. Seattle gets 38". For instance Minneapolis gets 34.5". Most of the eastern seaboard gets substantial more. Apparently it doesn't actually rain a lot in Seattle, it just rains often. It's the drip, drip, drip, drip that drives all you people crazy.

Stephen said...

Folks have the same notions about Vancouver (B.C.). Not true. Not true at all. It doesn't always rain here. Today it snowed.

Mike J said...

It doesn't rain all of the time in Seattle. In fact, I remember a day last summer it didn't rain. I think it was July 5th

Micheal Blue said...

Well, Kent, when I'll be about to visit your area, I'll ask you to stay indoors. Hey, at least you're well hydrated.

Small Adventures said...

It was raining when I,finally after 7+ months off the bike,took the year's first trail day on the new SS. It was in the low 40's too,and in my anticipation,I only pcked/wore a cotton t-shirt and spandex shorts (helmet/gloves too,of course). Was it fun? HECK YEAH! Did I get cold? Well,I was trembling for 2 hours and my lips were blue...was it worth it? Yup :)

Steve in VA

adventure! said...

Pshaw! It rains in the Northwest all the time. All the time.

(Are they all gone? Whew! I think I scared all the non-Northwesterners away. It's safe for us to play!)