Friday, April 12, 2013

#30DaysofScooting: Scooting While the Sun Shines

The forecast calls for a 100% chance of rain later today, but this morning is dry. I scoot out into the sunshine.

The Issaquah Creek meanders through the valley that holds my town, so going almost anywhere involves as least one creek crossing.

Today I'm picking up a few things at Trader Joe's. I've got my backpack and what my son Eric calls my "hippie bag", a nylon shoulder bag that stuffs down to a ball the size of an apricot.

I scoot home along Newport and then cross the creek yet again. In the fall, the salmon run thick in the creek and Issaquah has a festival. Then almost all the fish die and the birds (and sometimes a few bears) come to pick at the carcasses. The town stinks for a few days. Then the rain comes and it washes the fish smell away and the mist hangs heavy on the mountains for months at a time.

April is still a mostly misty month, but we get a few mornings like this, clear and shining bright. I give a happy kick and roll on home.

3 miles of scooting today.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah, WA USA
Post a Comment