This summer, in either July or August, I will be going on a two week bike tour of Washington state. As you know, I work for the Bicycle Alliance of Washington, a statewide group devoted to cycling advocacy and education. Our offices are in Seattle, so we naturally do a lot of work in the Puget Sound area but we were brainstorming ways to better connect with the various communities across the state. Plus, I wanted to do a bike tour. Barb green-lighted the idea and I'll be going around listening and learning about cycling resources, concerns and conditions in various communities around the state. And I'll probably give some talks as well, but it's more going to be look & learn trip for me. I'll be connecting up with Bicycle Alliance members in various locations, so I may have some civilized places to stay, but I'm also planning on camping some.
I'm telling you all this not so you'll say "gee that Kent has the greatest job in the world" (I do BTW) but to get some ideas and advice. My initial thought for a loop is something like this:
- Seattle - Tacoma -- Spend a day or so in Tacoma
- Tacoma - Olympia -- Spend a day or so in Olympia
- Olympia - Vancouver WA & -- Spend a day in Vancouver. Possible 2nd Day in Portland OR
- Vancouver WA to Yakima -- Spend a day in Yakima
- Yakima to Tri-Cities -- Spend a day in the Tri-Cities
- Tri-Cities to Spokane -- Spend a day in Spokane
- Spokane to Bellingham via Hwy 20 -- Multi-day touring/camping. This will be more touristy, focusing on the bike tourist amenities in the small towns en route. Spend a day in Bellingham
- Bellingham to Port Townsend via Whidbey Island and ferry -- Spend a day in Port Townsend/Port Angeles
- Port Townsend - Seattle -- Done
I'll be blogging from the road and compiling lists of cycling related contacts, shops, resources, etc.
What I'm looking for now is other places I should be going, alternate route ideas, general suggestions, anything you think might be useful. This is still in the early planning stages so almost everything is subject to change.
Maybe my loop idea should be run in the other direction? Maybe instead of a loop the trip should be done as shorter spokes radiating from Seattle? Are there places I really should add to the list. Places I should skip? Please let me know your thoughts.