Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Scooter Commuter


I work three blocks from where I live. It's a quick walk, a nice walk, and it really is a distance that is effectively too short to bike. It's not worth the hassle and time of locking and unlocking my bike at both ends of the commute. In fact, as much as we enjoy biking, Christine and I walk quite a bit around Issaquah. We're often not in that much of hurry and walking is even more convivial than biking.

But I have to confess that I like to roll. I like zipping around under my own power and I like gadgets that roll. I've seen the kids with their skateboards but I don't think I have the coordination and balance to ride one of those. But I've long been fascinated with kick scooters and I began researching them years ago. Finally I found the scooter that looked like it would be well worth a try and I hatched a plan.

The machine is a KickPed and it is sold by NYCeWheels in New York City. They are an excellent shop selling folding bikes and scooters and I wrote them explaining who I was and what my blog was about. I also told them about the 30 Days of Biking Challenge. In both 2011 and 2012 I rode my bike and blogged about it every day. While that was fun, I wanted to do something a bit different for 2013. So my proposal to NYCeWheels went like this: Would they be interested in giving me a discount on a KickPed if this April I scooted and blogged a 30 Days of Scooting Challenge? They're nice folks (maybe they're NYCe folks!) and they gave me a deal. So each day next month you'll see a post from me about my scooter adventures in Issaquah and other places around here. I'll do some guest posts on the NYCeWheels blog as well. Stay tuned!


In the next few weeks I'll post scooter stuff as I discover it. I'm already learning a lot. The scooter is nowhere near as efficient as a bike, but I think it has a definite niche. I've been scooting back and forth to work for the past few days now. Mike (my boss) asked me "Is it really any better than walking?" My quick answer is that it's about twice as fast and twice as fun. My son Eric seems convinced I've taken up scooting just to embarrass him.


More detailed posts to come.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah, WA USA
Post a Comment