Sunday, May 07, 2006

Safety First

Last Thursday I gave another seminar at the Seattle Bikestation. The topic this time was "Safety First" and the text of the seminar can be read here:

http://www.carsstink.org/peterson/Safety%20First.html


As with any of the stuff I post here, if you think it's of use and you'd like to reprint it, link to it or distribute it, feel free. All I ask is that you retain a reference back to the original source. When I get more organized (and it's very hard to picture my getting less organized!) I'm probably going to sweep through my site and place all the content under Creative Commons license. See:

http://creativecommons.org/


Keep 'em rolling,

Kent

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here in England I believe motorists extreme intolerance towards cyclists, probably a left over from our class system, is a safety issue when commuting by bicycle. Even my well-mannered and intelligent accountant had to have a moan when he found out I was a cyclist. Apparently we all hold him up in the morning traffic. So I tried a bit of logic on him. I said, if there are 0.5 to 1% of the total number of commuters on bicycles we hold you motorists up? He’s already floundering now, because deep down he knows he’s talking nonsense. Next I say, imagine now our local town suddenly turns into a bike friendly Northern European town and 50% of commuters use bicycles. Incidentally I say, this means roughly 50% fewer cars. Now do we hold you up? Well I suppose the traffic would move faster, was his reply. It hardly ever dawns on a motorist that if we weren’t on our bike, we might just be in a car stuck in the queue in front of them.