Thursday, February 09, 2006

Kogswell Model G



I finally borrowed Mark Vande Kamp's camera and took a not very good picture of my Kogswell Model G.

Noteable features:

Clipped & flipped bars.

The brake levers are Shimano 105.

Coroplast fenders.

Note how nicely the duct tape top tube protector blends with the bike.

The trunk is a Rubbermaid tote.

The headlight is a cheapo Bell with a really nice pricey EverLED and an external NiMH battery pack that sits in the Rubbermaid trunk. The speaker wire connecting the battery pack to the light runs under the duct tape top tube protector.

That's a silver bell on the top of the stem.

Those are Power Grips on the MKS touring pedals.

The crank is an old 170 mm DuraAce.

The gearing is 42/16.

Those are Phil Wood hubs laced to Campy rims.

The tires are 700*28 Specialized Nimbus. The front is a plain Nimbus, the rear is a Nimbus Armadillo.

The saddle is a WTB Rocket V, the cheap CroMo railed one. It looks reddish in this shot but that's just a reflection from the OPEN sign. It's really black and grey and silver.

I scavenged the ugly bar tape from the garbage at Sammamish Valley Cycle.

I've got the bike dialed in now and it's quick and comfy, even with the garden-hoseish tires. Mark expressed amazement that I can ride Armadillos and I told him that I do it just to show how tough I am!

Kent Peterson
Issaquah WA USA
http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Rubbermaid tote on the back, but how do you attach it securely and still be able to open it?

Kent Peterson said...

I drilled little holes in the base of the Rubbermaid tote and ran zip-ties through the holes and around the top struts of the rack. A couple of shock-cords keep the lid on the tote.

Kent

Anonymous said...

Mark who? As in the amazed that you can ride Armadillos Mark.


Michael 'destroyed my Armadillo through rough riding' R

Tammy said...

You are tough Kent! You amaze me. You guys don't even own a car, do you? I mean, what if you're sick?? I only ask because here I sick, my nose running like a spicket, and I can't imagine having to use my bike to get to/from school, etc, in this condition.

Kent Peterson said...

It was Mark Vande Kamp who expressed amazement at the Armadillo riding. I know a whole lot of guys named Mark!

And Tammy is right, Christine and I don't have a car and in fact we let our driver's licenses lapse years ago. Our sons Peter and Eric don't have driver's licenses either. I don't get sick much and it's super rare that I get too sick to ride. If I am too sick to ride, I'm generally too sick to work. When I'm kind of sick, I just ride a lot slower.

Keasty said...

Thanks mate... just dropped by. Will look for BIKE STN when we get to Seattle. Still in Buenos Airies.