Monday, January 20, 2020

Bike Theft Can Happen To Anyone


As a recent story in the New York Post illustrates, bike theft can happen to anyone. In this case, the victim was a member of the Portland, Oregon Police Department's Bike Patrol Unit. He was "in a rush" and "secured" his bike with his handcuffs. Obviously, this was not good enough.

I've had bikes stolen. My sons have had their bikes stolen. So far, my wife has not had her bike stolen and I haven't had any of my bikes stolen recently. But, given enough time and opportunity, even the best locked bike can be stolen. With any lock and locking strategy, you are buying time to slow down or discourage a determined thief.

This is probably a good time to revisit this classic short film where Hal Grades Your Bike Locking.

Be safe out there.


No comments: