Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bikes Plus Transit

While walking and bicycling are great ways to get around and are the means by which Christine and I do most of our travel, we often use some of our region's mass transit options to extend our horizons. Bainbridge Island is lovely, and while paddle bikes exist, it makes a lot more sense for us to take the Washington State Ferry when we want to go there. And while I've bicycled from the Seattle to Portland on several occasions, Amtrak provides a quick and civilized connection between these two cities. Within the Puget Sound area there are a range of options for using the bus, train or ferry system in combination with a bicycle to make long commutes or other adventures fun and practical.

If you've never taken your bike on a train, bus or ferry before, you may be wondering how it all works. Here are a few links to pages that explain the mechanics of bringing your bike with you on some of various systems:






As with many things, the first time doing something may be the hardest, but in general the systems are quite easy to use. The bicycle is a great machine for getting out in the world. Combining the bike with some of our region's mass transit options can bring more of that world within reach.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA



5 comments:

Matt said...

Kent
Couldn't agree more! Jen and I just returned from a week of travel using the train and bike from Seattle to Eugene.
When you leave the car at home, vacation starts the minute you lock the front door in my opinion.
Despite the fact that the train takes a bit longer than the automobile, the time belongs to you. I had the pleasure of reading two books and writing uninterrupted for several hours; something that rarely happens while I am not on a train.
The more I travel without the use of a car, the less I miss it!
Great post Kent!

Thanks,

Matt

Alex said...

I live in the Northeast, and I actually take Amtrak from where I live in New Hampshire down into Boston, where I work, with my folding bike. It's great because it actually fits right in the luggage racks at the end of the car, and I can ride to work from South Station.

Style Bikes said...

Great cycling picture.
Definitely more relaxing to cycle or take the train.

adventure! said...

We who live on the wet side of the Cascades are blessed with not only abundant natural beauty but some pretty decent transit options. I'm always amazed by the many bus systems that run through even the most rural stretches of Western Washington. I've seen a lot of bus stop signs on my tours around there. It's nice to know that if all else fails on the tour, I could hop on the bus. (I might have to wait a bit, though.)

Tip to the wise for those who want to bring their bike on Amtrak Cascades service: they have a limited number of roll-on spots (6) so it's wise to reserve them in advance during the summer months.

Agustin said...

The Amtrak trip between Vancouver BC and Portland OR is great with a bike! Both cities have some cool cycling infrastructure and they're fun to hang out in!

If you're on that line I'd encourage you to check it out!