Saturday, November 26, 2011

Solving A Cold Case

For close to five years, my pal Mark Vande Kamp and I have wondered about some odd, white, fur-like stuff we found growing on some fallen branches along the Woods Creek Road. I took a blurry picture of the substance and wrote a blog post describing our ride and the weird white stuff. We couldn't identify the substance, but thought perhaps the internet would yield a solution.

It took about five years, but yesterday, while checking out some links that had lead folks to my blog, I found this.


The photos included in Dr. Carter's post look exactly like what Mark and I saw on the branches along the side of Woods Creek Road. I shot the link to Mark and he agreed with me, what we had encountered those years ago was Haareis or Hair Ice.

It's an amazing world out there and one of the best ways to see the things you might otherwise miss is to get out there using your bike or your feet. But sometimes, those hours spent sitting and typing on the laptop pay off as well. It's kind of like riding a bike, the key is balance.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA

2 comments:

Ashley Cycles said...

Good detective work, and very interesting stuff! Ah, the things we see on our adventures.

Kent Peterson said...

My pal Mark emailed today with a link to this article:

https://www.americanscientist.org/blog/the-long-view/how-hair-ice-grows

There is a new explanation about how hair ice forms.