Saturday, April 25, 2015

#30DaysofScootering - Day 25 - Scootering in Salmon Country

I got out for a quick scoot this evening after work. I rolled through the grounds of the Salmon Hatchery

I rolled south to one of my favorite creek crossings in the Sycamore neighborhood.

I connect up with a gravel trail that takes me a little ways up Squak Mountain.

The view of Tiger Mountain is pretty nice from here.

I roll back down to the Hatchery.

My friend Madi noticed this creative bit of sign editing the other day. I had nothing to do with this, but I appreciate the rebellious sentiment. 

The chinook fry are tiny, but you can see them dimpling the surface of the water.

The bench in front of the library celebrates the salmon.

On the Front Street side of the library, a raven reads some ancient volume of forgotten lore.

4.36 miles of scootering today, bringing the total for the month to 142.34 miles.

Friday, April 24, 2015

#30DaysofScootering - Day 24 - Arbor Day

It was damp for much of today and I had a full day of work, but things had cleared up a bit by 7:00 PM. I wanted to get some snacks from Trader Joe's so I scootered off.

Today is Arbor Day so I make sure to stop by one of my favorite trees.

Issaquah is rich in trees and trails.

I go slightly out of my way to check out the Maple Street pond.


I see more ducks as I cross the Issaquah Creek.

 Issaquah's a pretty town, especially so in the evening light.

3.98 miles of scootering today, bringing the month's total to 137.98 miles.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

#30DaysofScootering - Day 23 - Against the Soggy, Sluggish Day

It was decent weather this morning when Christine and I got out for our usual Thursday walk to breakfast, but then the day "biteyed up" (to use Christine's expression) into a rainy afternoon. I'm reading a terrific book (We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler and while it was tempting to stay inside, I'm committed to scootering somewhere every day this month, so I rolled out the door.

Christine had spotted these mushrooms this morning growing in the hollow of a tree alongside the trail.

The lilacs (and darn near everything else) are in bloom.

I meet up with Joe Tutch on the trail. Joe rides to work every day, rain or shine. He's headed home now.

A crow watches as I roll past.

This is great weather for slugs.

Snails also enjoy the damp day.

 It's raining more heavily now and I stop at the Value Village.

Value Village has a buy four books get the fifth one free deal every day and today happens to be World Book Day. So in addition to getting a nice pair of shoes, I loaded up on some books. I spent less than twenty bucks. A couple of these I've already read, but it's nice to have copies to give to friends.

Issaquah has a local ordinance against plastic bags, so I always travel with a folding nylon bag in my pocket.

 I take the slightly longer way home.

It is the way that involves a bit more climbing, a bit more work.

The rewards are a swooping descent to the clouded valley. My books stayed dry enough in my bag, I stayed dry enough on my journey. Slugs are not sluggish on damp days and once again I'm glad I got out on two wheels.

4.83 miles of scootering today, bringing the month's total to 134 miles.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

#30DaysofScootering - Day 22 - Earth Day

Today is Earth Day, but it's also Wednesday, the day I work in Seattle. I took the 554 bus from Issaquah to downtown Seattle and then scootered along Westlake to Lake Union.

The morning is a mix of sun and clouds and the forecast says we could have showers today.

The sun seems to be winning as I roll across the Fremont Bridge.

I spot this ominous Earth Day reminder on a bike rack in Fremont.

One of the things I love about getting around on by walking, biking or scootering is that I travel at a pace where I can notice the small things. This bee is busy doing her bit to make this a beautiful world.

I'm paying attention to flowers this morning, and other beautiful small things that catch my eye.

This jay was kind of camera shy.

When I got to work, my first task was unboxing and checking out this Juiced Riders ODK E-Bike. It's a pretty nice machine, good power, lots of carrying capacity and a variety of battery configurations offering extended range.

My pal and fellow mechanic Donald recently got this hat. It's a combination that sounds odd, lightweight wool with synthetic mesh side panels.

Donald tells me the hat is made right here in Seattle and the fellow who makes them works at our old shop, Bike Works, in the Columbia City neighborhood.

Sun wins the day and it's t-shirt weather by the time I leave work and scoot back towards downtown at 5:00 PM.

Here's a sophisticated, precision engineered vehicle. In the background is a Tesla.

Actually as cars go, those Teslas are better than most. But I prefer getting around on two feet or two wheels.

Here's an iconic Seattle view, the Space Needle and more darn stuff being built downtown.

Seattle is still a town where they line up to see Kurt Cobain. These folks are waiting to see a documentary about his life.

12.60 miles of scootering this Earth Day, bringing the month's total to 129.17 miles.